Thursday, November 21, 2013

My November top.

I finished my November top for Make a Garment a Month more than a week ago but have had to wait to get a picture.


I thought the stripes might give me some trouble especially as the fabric is a very stretchy jersey, but a walking foot and lots of pins kept everything on track and I am very pleased with the finished result.

Back seam
Side seam

The pattern originally had long sleeves but I shortened them for summer and altered the neckline so it was more a scoop than a boat. The pattern also called for facings which I didn't want and this created a new problem as I had forgotten how to calculate the necessary length for the neckband. I wanted a neckband to fill in a bit more of the neckline as it was still a bit too wide and low. I checked out my Knitwit and Kwik Sew books but the length was still too long to sit nice and snug. Eventually I came across  http://www.craftstylish.com/item/8413/how-to-sew-a-classic-t-shirt-neckband a tutorial by Cal Patch. This was nearer to the sizing I was looking for but due to the stretchiness of my fabric I had to remove a bit more length. Eventually I got it almost right. There are a few puckers in the neckband but it sits ok so I'm happy.



While I was waiting to take the photos I drafted an A-line shirt from my straight skirt draft thanks to instructions from Kat of Couture Academic blog. http://coutureacademic.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/ss-collection-20132014/ 

The fabric I used as a test was some weird spotty stuff I have had for ages. It has been washed three times and is still stiff. This turned out to be just what was needed for an A-line skirt. I didn't have enough for a waistband so I just bound the waist with black bias binding.  It turned out remarkably well as a wearable muslin if a tad short..


Now, what to make in December? Hmmmm!

5 comments:

  1. I like the to and adore the skirt - must find some weird spotty stuff to make one. With neckbands, I just cut a strip and stretch it slightly and pin it - and sew the back join after I have calculated the length. Then I check again, then sew. The skirt is gorgeous - really nice shape and style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SarahLiz, I'll try your method next time.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the top and you have matched those stripes so well. Isn't the walking foot great. Nice neckline too - worth your searching. Skirt is a lovely shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeaJay. I think my walking foot will be getting quite a work out from now on. :)

      Delete