After I finished my January top I decided to have another go at the muslin which, when I put it on, wasn't too bad and seemed to hang fairly smoothly at the back so I made a few more alterations.
Raised front waist 5cm tapering back down to the side seam.
Added width to front waist (size 18) tapering to size 14 at hip and size 10 at leg. I later removed the extra and brought the waist back to size 16.
Added to back waist height but took it out again later as not needed.
Cut back size 14 tapering to size 12 at hip then size 8 at leg.
Took in 2 cm tuck through back and leg as per Palmer/Pletsch instructions.
Left out back darts - not needed. I'm very flat across lower back.
Lowered back crotch a bit (this was a guess, it wavered between size 12 and 18 and didn't follow any particular measurement)
I made another muslin this time using some grey check fabric that has been hanging around for a long time. I wanted to use the check so I could see the horizontal and vertical lines easily.
I used a New Look pattern from 2000 that had been a dismal failure the first time I made it. At that time I made View B with pleats - shudder - my tummy and I don't do pleats. Lesson learned. However the pattern included a pair of flat front pants with darts and straight legs, which looked possible . I cut the pattern using the alterations and measurements from my fitting shell and made them up without any further adjustments except for length.
|New Look 6736|
To say I was surprised is an understatement. Before I put the waistband on I stitched the side seam at the waist a little closer and added my usual tiny dart either side of the centre front to bring the waistband in over my high round tummy.
|See the straight side seams and the horizontal lines|
These pants aren't perfect but they are the closest I have ever been. I have learned so much about my weird shape, especially how to cope with a little basketball for a tummy and a flat as a board bottom. They still need one or two minor tweaks. They are a bit roomy and the waist is actually a little loose but that is easily fixed and I might increase the flat bottom tuck by a further half centimetre, but all in all I can't think of many more improvements I could make. If I fiddle too much I take the risk of over-fitting. I'm so pleased with these I may tackle the tapered leg pants on the right some time.
|One more look at the back|
Thanks for reading through my babble. It is mainly so that I can remember what I did right so I can do it again next time. I'm very bad at taking notes and usually rely on my memory which good as it is, isn't always infallible.
For February I think I'm making a dress, that is unless I change my mind. ;)