Sunday, October 22, 2017

It's been a long time

It's been a long time since my last post and I haven't done a lot of sewing since. That is not to say I haven't been trying.

I started off in March with a shirt from Itch to Stitch. Itch to Stitch Bonn Shirt & Dress  Fortunately I made a muslin out of some old curtain lining but my rounded back and forward shoulders made a mess of how it fit in back, so I dug out my Palmer/Pletsch book and  looked up how to do a rounded back alteration. Slash and spread, add bits of paper, alter the muslin. That looks about right. I cut another muslin using some blue poly cotton then took a break to make something else.



 First I made Style Arc's Simone cardi.

I just love this pattern. I made it in grey and it turned out just as nice as my previous navy one. I don't have a photo but it is the same fabric as my next project. The top below. Style Arc's Amy knit top.


It's a wee bit short and the neckline is a little low, but I like it. I wear it with a short sleeve tee underneath.The photos aren't the best but they are up.

The day after I took these photos I had a stroke and finished up in hospital. Only for three days and without any major after effects but it shocked me to say the least. The  biggest problem I have now is double vision. For a while I had to wear a patch over one eye to enable me to see straight. Now I have a plastic-stick-on-prism-thingy over one lens of my glasses which helps me see fairly well but it's not perfect. The double vision may clear up or it may not only time will tell. But I'm managing.

That was in May and it took me a while to get back to sewing but I finished up my muslin and tried it on. Wahh! It's beautiful but it doesn't fit. What went wrong I'm not sure. I cut the size to fit my measurements, perhaps it was the centre back seam I had to put in. It doesn't even fit Myrtle so there is something definitely gone awry.


Too small across the shoulders

Curve in back seam for fit.

Neck band seems too small.

I plan to cut the next size up (in a muslin of course) and see how it goes.



Wish me luck!




 

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear...no wonder you haven't been doing much sewing. Wishing you all the best for a full recovery. Maybe you forgot to add a seam allowance to the centre back seam of the dress? Just a thought. Your Amy Knit top looks lovely and I like the look of your tee peeking out at the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean. I think you may be right, perhaps I did forget the seam allowance or didn't transfer it from the muslin to the pattern. The first muslin fits fine.

      Delete
  2. Wishing you all the best, Kathy. Glad to see you back to sew and these garments are lovely and love your cowl neck top :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kathy. Missing your posts and hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely rocking this overall pre-production guide. Such a great fit. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete