Thursday, October 1, 2015

I didn't fall overboard

Two months ago we returned from our nice long holiday overseas. Six weeks on a ship from Fremantle to Southampton via the Suez Canal and the Mediterranean and then two weeks in England visiting my husband's family. We had a wonderful time and it took quite a while to settle down to ordinary pursuits after we got back home.

I got myself organised eventually and have made a Kirsten Kimono Tee and finished a print cotton fitted blouse - New Look 6407.

I am semi happy with the Kirsten Tee. Both Lisa and Sew Jean Margaret have made it with lovely results so I was hoping for the same. I cut size M (94 cm) and remembered to add 1 cm seam allowances. I added a centre back seam which fits my shape better and overlocked all the seams. It went together very smoothly and the neck band behaved itself. It's a little more fitted than I expected from looking at the photo, especially at the hip which should be 100 cm whilst I am 94 cm, but it looks OK so I will wear it and maybe try the pattern again with different fabric and see how it goes. Perhaps go up a size.

My sewing machine decided to behave badly just as I got to the sleeve insertion. I took my foot off the pedal to readjust the fabric on a curve and the machine kept going. What!!??? Had to switch the power off to make it stop. This happened twice so I ran screaming to my resident handyman, Mr Schu. He has fixed this problem once before so I had every confidence he would do so again. It proved a little more tricky this time. It seems the little gizmo in the foot pedal that controls the stop start thingy wasn't going right back to the stop point so the machine kept going. Clear? Hmmm, yeah! but he fixed it and that's all that counts. Bless him.

Next up is the print cotton blouse which is a whole other story......


6 comments:

  1. Welcome Back!!!! Sounds like a wonderful trip you've been on!!! Love your Kirsten!!! Lovely stripes and fantastic stripe-matching you've done. Great idea on adding a back center seam.... I think I shall have to try that next. That top does fit a little more 'fitted' than one might think. I added some width/flairing from the waist down on one of my patterns. Your neckline looks great too! I like the way the whole top looks on you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. I think part of the problem is the very stretchy/huggy fabric.

      Delete
  2. I think the t-shirt looks lovely on, although I know what you mean about liking a little extra around the high hip area. What a nuisance with the machine - I wonder if the pedal is on the way out. I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the t-shirt looks lovely on, although I know what you mean about liking a little extra around the high hip area. What a nuisance with the machine - I wonder if the pedal is on the way out. I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the t-shirt looks lovely on, although I know what you mean about liking a little extra around the high hip area. What a nuisance with the machine - I wonder if the pedal is on the way out. I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it - that's so efficient! I have a pattern to trace soon, and will definitely use this technique then. great pattern making skills. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete