Friday, August 5, 2016

July MAGAM finished Burda 8390 Jacket

It seems like months since my last post but it's really only just over one month. After I damaged my overlocker (see previous post) thus putting it out of action for two weeks, I couldn't overlock the edges of the boucle fabric which was unravelling at a great pace. I tried zig-zagging the edges but this was too hit and miss and likely to take too long so I pressed on hoping the lining would contain the fall-out. The interfacing helped to hold the fabric together in places but it's not interfaced everywhere so I swept up threads and lint and hoped for the best.

I tried the unfinished shell on a couple of times and wasn't too sure about the shoulder width but chose to ignore it. After the jacket was finished and moments before I started to slip stitch the lining to the hem I decided the neckline was too low at the back and the shoulders were definitely too wide.

I turned the whole thing inside out, unpicked the centre back seam, the facing and the lining at the neck edge and pinched out a 1 inch dart 4 inches long and stitched it. Then I cut through the centre of the facing and sewed a 1 inch seam. I folded the lining into a bigger ease pleat resewed the neck seam. Turned the whole lot back to the right side, steam pressed it to death and it worked!!
Invisible dart


Now the jacket sits nicely nearer the base of my neck, the shoulders are where they should be and the darted section curves over my rounded back making the whole fit much better.  The only other thing I could have done was make the jacket a little longer, but it will do.
Fuzzy picture of the lining

To insert the lining I followed the instructions for Vogue 7975 which were a little more comprehensive than Burda's. To insert the separating zip I used the same instructions as for my husband's jacket and am happy to say this one went in perfectly too.

The zip isn't really bumpy

This is the real colour

Myrtle modelling front

and back
Finally a mirror shot of me wearing my new jacket. I wore it out shopping today and was very happy with it.



I might sew something simple next but haven't decided what yet. I could use a new pair of black pants as my Linda's are getting a bit old and I have some black Bengaline in the stash and some aubergine Bengaline also. We'll see.
I can smile

Cheers for now.

17 comments:

  1. A fabulous jacket. Love the fabric. Very chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay. It's nice to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely smart jacket, beautifully sewn and fitted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent fit and gorgeous jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent fit and gorgeous jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very smart end to the story - although the frustrations were certainly to the fore with making this jacket - no overlocker, taking it to bits. The resizing was well worth it - this is a nice, flattering, skimming shape now. And lovely zip front. I take it your overlocker is back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah Liz. Yes, I have my overlocker back now and very pleased too. You don't realise how much you use something until it's not there.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous jacket and fantastic construction on your part. Looks perfectly fitted and you did a great job with pattern print matching even on the re-done center back. Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. I was very happy with the finished jacket.

      Delete
  7. Lovely jacket and beautiful fit too. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful jacket, Kathy. Great work! Love the fabric and the detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely, truly chic jacket! The details are perfection. And please do smile in all your photos, you have a really lovely smile :)

    ReplyDelete